Sunday, May 10, 2009

Just a note to anyone interested.


I know.....it's been a awhile.

I'm happy to say that we are back home in the states if only for a little while. I'm currently TDY at Ft. Leavenworth taking a 2 week leadership class. Tracy and crew are in Oklahoma with the fam having a good time I'm sure.

The reason for their visit is just plain sad. My cousin Liz who has been fighting cancer for several years lost her battle on May 2nd.....we knew that she didn't have long and Tracy and the kids as well as I were trying to make it in time to say goodbye and help out however we could. Unfortunately, we didn't make it in time. I don't really have adequate words to describe Liz other than if you knew her you loved her. She had an infectious sense of humor and a quick wit that I enjoyed sparring with. She will be missed tremendously by her Mom, husband and son and all of her family. Another noteworthy piece of info on Liz: She was the only member of my family that shared my faith and belief in the gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will miss her but through my faith in God and my understanding of what fate awaits us after death, I know that she is doing just fine.

I should take the opportunity now to share my testimony. First and foremost, I know that God lives. I have the utmost faith in the power of forgiveness that is offered thru the Savior. Jesus Christ suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane for me personally. He died on the cross and was resurrected on the third day so that we too may have eternal life.

I have a testimony of eternal families. I am grateful that I have been sealed for time and eternity to my incredible wife and children. They set the example of true Christ-like living everyday. I am constantly amazed at Tracy's boundless love for others. She is the most Christ-like person I know. I bear witness that she lives everyday of her life in this manner and sets the bar high for me to try to emulate her mark.

My kids have been an awesome blessing as well. I could not ask for better, more well behaved kids. I know that they love us as we love them. I'm amazed at their willingness to choose the right. Whether it be refusing to play ballgames or spend money on Sunday's in order to honor the Sabbath, or simply standing up to their friends when they cuss or make bad decisions, I know that they understand the sacrifices necessary to live their lives in a manner pleasing to God, as well as the blessing that come from making those hard choices.

I know that the Church is lead by a true and living prophet today in Thomas S. Monson. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I testify that all men can know for themselves of this truthfulness if they will follow the council of the Apostle James in the Bible, James 1:5 which says: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Don't let anyone fool you.......living the gospel and following the counsel of the church is hard. It may be easy for some, but not me. I'll admit it has gotten easier over time as I've tried to live and do what's right and have been blessed and had my testimony grow but it is still hard. I can understand why people are not interested in joining the church. This faith requires life altering changes. It requires you to focus on the Savior, and places enormous worth on service to others and love for your fellow man. There is no such thing as coming to church and dropping a dollar in the offering plate and going home to resume your normal life. We have no paid ministry.......so who do you think gets to do all this work? Hope you have gloves! This is why I love this church. While our people are not perfect the gospel of Jesus Christ is. His plan offers us the opportunity to be sealed together as families forever......there is no "until death do you part" in the Temple.

I doubt that anyone in my family and very few of our friends will ever read this but if so my prayer is simple: Please read the Book of Mormon. Pray in honest faith and ask God if it is true (see James 1:5). I promise you that the Holy Spirit will testify of the truthfulness of this gospel and your life and that of your families will be blessed for eternity. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have. I don't pretend to have all the answers but I'd be glad to try to share what I know to be true to anybody......even if it means just sending you a copy of the Book of Mormon.

Another tremendous blessing that we have enjoyed in our church is the gift of friends. I have met the greatest, lifelong friends inside the church. Friends that would be more willing to put their lives on hold to help us than any of my family. I know that my family loves us, don't get me wrong, but I also know who would WANT to drop everything to be with us. You all know who you are, so just know how much you mean to me and how much you have blessed my life, my families lives and strengthened my testimony. Your example and willingness to "keep the faith no matter what" has truly changed my life and saved it as well. The gift and blessing of you all cannot be overstated.

Also on this Mother's Day, I must tell Tracy just how much I love her. I can not even imagine where I would be or what I'd be doing if not for her. She truly makes me want to be a better man. I will never be worthy of her love but I'm thankful for it nonetheless. She is a perfect mother to our kids and I could not possibly ask for a better partner to walk thru this life with. Always know that I love you Tracy.

I pray that whoever reads this, that these words find you well.

God Bless & Love to all.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment